Welcome to my musings on home, health and hearth in the light of Christ.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Beverages?

Obviously I do not buy soda.  I used to, even though I knew it wasn't good for us.  We haven't bought soda now for several months, unless on a trip where we can't find bottled water.  Last time I had soda was when my husband was craving some and let me have a sip - it had been so long that the soda seemed horribly sweet to me!  I cringed and thought how I wasn't missing much.

We allow the kids to have soda on a few occasions - if we're visiting family or friends that offer soda or if we're eating out.  Even then, though they're starting to order soda and not finish it or prefer ordering fruit juice or milk instead.

With 2 meals (usually breakfast and dinner) they are given Full-Fat Raw milk.  If you want the ins-and-outs of 'Why Raw Milk' then see http://www.realmilk.com/.

At home I make lemonade regularly.  There is usually a couple quarts of it in our fridge.  I understand organic lemons and lemon juice are pricey compared to others, but I think it's worth it.  3/4 c lemon juice and 3/4 c Evaporated Cane Juice type sugar in 2 quarts of water.  I still put a limit on how much they drink, and lemonade is something they are usually given with their afternoon snack.

Between meals they drink water.  We are fortunate to have an in-the-door water/ice dispenser on our fridge and the boys are welcome to use it whenever they need it.

My husband and I drink iced tea regularly, all year round.  Mixed half with lemonade it's particularly good!  We also enjoy drinking good beer - not your everyday coors or what-have-you, but good, locally crafted beer.  Long Trail and Harpoon are some favorite brands. A nice beer at the end of a long day after the kids are in bed... that's good stuff!

What are your favorite All-natural beverages?

No comments:

Post a Comment